Saturday, March 21, 2009

Aromas of China

Friday night,Mr VP's taken off from work, Mr P and I are still at work, and we (Actually Mr VP and I) crave to go out some place, and at the top of my mind is Aromas of China, which I've been wanting to go for probably more than 13 years now (of course, back in the mid 90s, the outlet at Richmond Circle was called Shanghai). This time though, it was the outlet in Eva Mall on Brigade Road where we headed towards. As usual, I was there well ahead of time, Mr VP was a little over 5 minutes late, and Mr P was 20 minutes late - some things never change!

Up we go and enter the place, and the look doesn't disappoint me, but Mr P makes a peculiar comment - "Hey, I think I've been here before". "Are you sure?" I ask. And then Mr VP says, "Hey, yeah, this place looks familiar". "@#%*@#$%*... Am I the only dolt in town who hasn't been to this place yet?". So in we go and are seated and vague memories of when the two of them visited this place started to come out. It was with WeightConsious and her guy Saucy, and then all of a sudden even I realised that yes, they had come here and for some reason that I couldn't remember, I had to leave them on that night. Well, I was here now, and wasn't leaving without a good meal.

We started off with soups, and although Mr VP wanted some meat in his soup, Mr P and I outvoted him for a vegetarian soup called 8 Treasures Vegetarian soup.
When the soup arrived, I thought it was going to fall from the waiter's hand, but then realised that the bowls are slightly tilted in appearance.

The starters we ordered were Prawn dimsums, which were slightly spicy along with the sauce that was served with it, but delicious none the less,
fried mixed vegetable (L), and honey chilly chicken (R).
I wouldn't recommend the honey chilly chicken since it felt a little chewy, and since the chicken was served in such thin slivers, I thought it was criminal to have it chewy.

For our main course, we ordered a crispy noddles with some sauce for Mr P, while Mr VP and I shared a some chicken noodle dish along with a side order of chicken & mushrooms in oyster sauce.

I was pretty darn full after this meal, and the fact that it was really good made me even happier. After a while of debating whether we should have dessert or not, and then what to have for dessert, we finally settled for chocolate spring rolls with ice cream, and they were divine. The snap below is not one that I took, but I can assure you that the rolls looked exactly the way they do in this picture (minus the china used here).

My fortune, from my fortune cookie.

Great food, and since this was after such a long time, it felt that much better. And my stomach was going to explode if I didn't lie down on my bed quickly, and so I said a quick good night to the amigos and off I drove towards me casa, to read The Prodigal Daughter (yeah , I haven't read it so far, so sue me!) and get some shut eye.

Food: Good
$$$: On the higher side - we shelled out nearly 600-700 per head
Service: Good
Verdict: Must visit if you love Indianised Chinese food (no MSG used here I've heard)

Aromas of China, Top Floor, Eva Mall, Brigade Road, Bangalore

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I have been waiting for long for your next post and viola! here it is. Totally hooked up. And guess what! so is everyone at my office. I have been a big fan of your merciless.....blog, but this one is awesome.

Keep blogging.

Nina

P.S.: Where can I find apple cider vinegar? I did try the mushroom chicken sans the vinegar. Nevertheless it tasted amazingly good.

Karthik Shetty said...

'ello. I was able to get apple cider vinegar at a Namdhari outlet in Jayanagar. Apart from Namdhari's, I'm sure it's available at Thom's bakery (Frazer Town). I'm glad there are people reading the blog :) and also that the chicken and mushroom turned out well. the vinegar is just a lil fancy touch I add, nothing else.

Captain Subtext said...

The Eva Mall outlet is very close to my office so I end up eating there once almost every fortnight. So, was surprised to note that someone like you hasn't been there before this.

And, in a crazy coincidence, I was on the table beside yours Friday night. My parents were visiting, they love Chinese food, and this seemed like a safe place to take them to. I thought you guys looked familiar, since I had just read the post before this one a few days back!

Karthik Shetty said...

Wow! I actually had a tingle going down my spine... I've never actually met someone who reads the blog (apart from friends and family), hence the tingle I guess. And apart from the crazy coincidence, I believe that we also seem to have the same feelings towards Aromas of China. For certain I'm going to go there again in the near future.

Swaroop said...

Dude , being a veggie and tending towards vegan ism - I place complements on your choice of desert and more say the power of your D-80. Great pic I should say.

- Swaroop

Karthik Shetty said...

hehehe...if you read closely, I've mentioned that the pic of the rolls *ISN'T* a pic I took, coz I forgot to take a pic. And when I go out for food, I don't lug the D-80 around, I use the camera in my phone.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William (personal changes done by me as per need) at 2600 Degrees